Friday, June 6, 2008

Behind the Vegetarian Learning Curve

[I've moved to http://milkandhoneymommy.com/. Please visit me there!]


It is finally here! My copy of The Vegan Lunch Box - FIRST EDITION.Yes, first edition and it does matter when there are copies being sold for more than $100. No, I am not one of those who paid the “new retail” price, but I did pay more than the original price of $22.95 and I’m happy to own it. I still can't get over the fact that I am just now reading the book, as well as the blog that started it all more than three years ago. Jennifer blogged about the vegan meal creations for her son, James Henry, who was entering the first grade. She wasn’t worried about picking out the popular notebook, colorful #2 pencils, or making sure he was dressed in the latest fashions as he started back to school. Jennifer was more concerned with what her young son, who had grown up eating a vegan diet, would eat and want to eat while being surrounded by new and tempting “food” that was less nutritious and being offered in his school cafeteria.

Those concerns were eventually proved unnecessary and you will see why as you read through her blog (which works for me as a companion to the book), which show pictures (yea – I love pictures) that may convert even the hard core carnivore, a write up and summary of the meal, and James’ “critique” of what mom prepared for lunch that day. The meals are packed and served in traditional Bento style which has been popularized in recent years by Laptop Lunches, a company that promotes waste-free lunches.

As a homeschooling mom, my children will not be tempted by the possible less than nutritious offerings of a public school cafeteria, but they could be tempted by the same if I fail to offer them healthy foods at home. Because I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian (I do eat fish occasionally), my children get more fruit and vegetables by default because I don’t know how to cook meat, other than baked chicken and scrambled eggs, and I cook and serve what I know. Fortunate for them and easy for me.

I was a little disappointed because I was hoping there were more pictures, but I’ll settle for the pictures Jennifer offers on her blog. My oldest starts his first official school year (more on that later – another blog) this fall and we will use as many of the meals as we can. There are quite a few recipes I can't wait to try and some of them will be served as dinner meals.

An updated version of the book is due to be released within the next month, so you won’t have to worry about locating, and paying the price, for a first edition copy to learn how to create your own vegan lunchbox.

post signature

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think Jennifer's blog was the first one I ever read. It is truly inspiring. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian too. I could not live without cheese.