Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Strawberries...des Mexico?

They were packaged so perfectly in their little plastic container stickered with the attractive American company label that gave recognition to the origination of this beautiful fruit - "...des Mexico!" I have no problems with Mexico, but in an effort to purchase from and support more local farmers, I am trying to be more conscious of the produce I purchase and from where it is grown. It took everything I had in me to return the container to the display shelf and begin my wait for the harvesting of local strawberries.

Another thing about me that you will learn is I love to eat. As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, fruits and vegetables are pretty much where it's at for me. I love looking at pictures of beautiful fruit and vegetables and love eating them even more.

My like obsession with strawberries began when I was preganant with my daughter. I had the "great fortune" of experiencing six months of 24-hour "morning sickness." Whomever made up the phrase "morning sickness" must have never experienced it because I have not met any mom who only had it in the morning. Well, ginger worked for a few days and saltines never quite cut it, but strawberries carried me through that sickly time with her and also while pregnant with my youngest son. Instead of growing an aversion to strawberries, my love for them continued.

I was glad to learn about the nutritional benefits of strawberries since I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 365 days a year, which is possible in California where they are available year-round. Okay, that’s it. I’m NOT MOVING…ever! One serving of strawberries (about eight – 8) is a great source of vitamin C and provides more vitamin C than one orange serving. Strawberries also provide potassium, fiber, and phytochemicals (you don’t say) which have been shown to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. The American Heart Association has certified strawberries as a “heart-healthy” choice which defines a food as having ‘low levels of total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol’. How can you not like the strawberry? They are ‘America’s favorite fruit and enjoyed by 94% of Americans nationwide’.

Another benefit of living in the country is that farmers are my neighbors and many of them farm the type of food I like to eat. So, I get to meet some of the people who grow the fruits and vegetables I eat as well as see the areas where these items are grown. Supporting local benefits the community and I don't do too poorly myself because I get to eat some "yummy delicious" fresh food.


I pass two strawberry fields when going to town. I'm happy to announce that my patience paid off. The "closed" signs have been replaced with "open" signs. Forget the cream, Angel Food Cake, and chocolate. I just rinse, cut, and pop them in my mouth.

post signature

No comments: